Light Pass House

Bed and Breakfast (B&B) accommodation in the Barossa Valley

Light Pass Road, Light Pass, near Nuriootpa, Barossa Valley, SA

Things to Do


Luhrs Cottage, next to Light Pass House, a historic Cottage, built of mud and straw (pug) in about 1850 — a museum well worth a look!

Barossa Museum, south end of Tanunda main street.


Immanuel Church, Light Pass, rear door generally unlocked. See the inscription, in German, to Johann Lowke, at the base of the Christening font.

Strait Gate Church, also of Light Pass, which split from the Immanuel church in1860.

Langmeil Church, Tanunda, foundation church of Pastor Kavel, the founding Lutheran Leader of the Barossa. See his memorial tombstone in the front of the church, from the south end of the main street of Tanunda.


The Barossa is renowned for its good food and wine. Here's a link to help you choose your dining experience


There are about 100, but we like:

Willows Vineyard, Light Pass, north of Light Pass House off Light Pass Road to the left. Formerly the Willows Hospital, founded because ‘Doctor’ W H Scholz, whose father was a surgeon in the Prussian army, reset the broken leg of the son of George Fife Angas so that he could again ride a horse. The Angas family were so grateful that they contributed 500 pounds to found the hospital in 1856.

Gibson’s Barossa Vale, Willows Road, Light Pass, north of Light Pass House, off Light Pass Road to the right.

Yalumba Wines, Angaston, founded by the Smith family.

Seppelts, of Seppeltsfield, founded by the Seppelt family, who have their own family mausoleum high on the hill.

Jacob’s Creek Visitor Centre, off main road south of Tanunda.

Bethany Wines, founded by the Schrapel family, at the east end of Bethany Road. Bethany was the original settlement in the Barossa — and the site of an intense week long theological disputation on the Book of Revelation, which initially split the Lutheran Church in Australia.

Mengler’s Hill Lookout

Mengler’s Hill Lookout, accessed from the south end of Light Pass Road, also has a Sculpture Park. The largest hill in the Barossa is called the Kaiser Stuhl, (German for ‘Kings Chair’), and is about 1 km south of the end of Rifle Range Road, but the view is not as good! The Kaiser Stuhl was renamed Mt Kitchener during the war with Germany.